The Loosh Spot

"All you have in life is your truth." -Britney Spears

October 26, 2005

WNBA MVP Comes Out

Sheryl Swoopes is arguably the best female basketball player in the world. In college she set the NCAA Championship game points record when she dropped 47 against Ohio State to give Texas Tech its first national title in 1993 . The 34-year old plays in the most elite women's league, the WNBA and is its reigning MVP (for the 3rd time).

And in the upcoming issue of ESPN the magazine Swoopes reveals that she's gay, making her the most prominent team athlete to reveal his/her homosexuality--either while playing or in retirement.

It will be interesting to see the effect her announcement has. Her status as an "out" player in women's pro sports will likely encourage other lesbian athletes to talk about their sexuality, though it may not affect the dynamics of men's team sports, where the stigma remains stronger.

Swoopes is just ready to be herself in the public eye, and to be open about her feelings for her partner, former Old Dominion coach Alisa Scott. "I'm just at a point in my life where I'm tired of having to pretend to be somebody I'm not. I'm tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about. About the person I love."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home